Friday, October 1, 2010

i hate pink and other news :)

Nick and I have very slowly begun to put the nursery together, so I have started doing research
and looking up pictures for modern and magical nurseries. I am not the kind of person who is just going to run out to Babies R Us, pick out a bedding set, and base the entire room around it. I just itch to be a little more creative and start from scratch. (Disclaimer: if you ARE the type of person to do this, that is wonderful! I have nothing against it, but my creative genes- thanks, Mom- are getting in the way!) I also hate pink. If we have a little girl I will lose my mind if we somehow end up with an entirely pink nursery. Pink clothing is fine, just not a pink room! Again, more power to you if you have a girl and a pink room. It's just not for me.

I picture a girls room more like this(my absolute favorite...its from Serena & Lily and the bedding alone comes in at $995, BUT its beautiful and completely re-creatable, and I especially adore the cranes!):


















The other challenge is that we can't paint the walls in our apartment, so the "light and airy" color scheme definitely appeals to me.

On another note...I have had a horrible sinus infection this week! There are a few things that I can take for it while pregnant including Benadryl and Sudafed, but being the "green" mother that I am (or as Nick lovingly refers to me as a "hippy" mom...either way is true!)...I just don't really feel comfortable taking either of those medications. I have only taken 4 doses of Tylenol during this entire pregnancy. My remedy for this sinus infection? Herbal tea (which is caffeine free!) and a NetiPot, and of course lots and lots of rest. AND it works like a charm! I think I would actually choose this route of "getting better" over medication even if I wasn't pregnant! :)

AND the countdown is also on...5 weeks til we find out what our little one will be! Boy? Girl? Either way I am happy, but can't wait to find out which we will be welcoming in April!

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend! I will be spending mine in my hometown of Wilkesboro at the Brushy Mountain Apple Festival along with my brother, Tucker, and his girlfriend Chelsea who also happens to be one of my best friends! Don't forget the rest of my huge family...I can't wait to see everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Allyn-

    Congrats on your pregnancy! I just had a little boy in July and I know you will enjoy motherhood.

    We kept the gender a surprise, but I also hate pink and pre-packaged nursery "sets." I did all the decor myself and I can't wait to see what you come up with! If you're interested, you can see Luke's nursery in my FB photos or at my blog http://www.peanutstand.blogspot.com/

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allyn! Enjoyed reading your post; if i had a girl, her nursery would definitely not be pink. I've settled on an orange and baby teal (kinda) for Nolan's nursery. I believe i'm just as eclectic as you are; i'm looking everywhere to find items to put in his nursery. I love the crane bedding!!! Oh, and i wanted to tell you that i had a horrible sinus infection at 13 weeks as well. I had to go to the ER because I had a fever of 102 for like 2 days! talk about scary. Sudafed helped me alot.. One good thing about my ER visit was that i got to see my Nolie bean for the first time! :D Anyways, feel better :) and those 5 weeks will be here before you know it!!!

    Janell

    ReplyDelete